Ar. Srijan Sunar | Interview

VAASTU | Vol 15, 2025


Having completed his undergrad from Pulchowk Campus, Ar. Srijan Sunar is Iowa State University alumnus currently working as a project specialist at Corgan Associates based in Dallas, Texas. Along with being a full-time architect, Mr. Sunar is an emerging internet personality. Through his videos and the podcast My Arch Stories, he chronicles his architectural journey, uncovers compelling stories, and provides extensive guidance for architecture students.




“It doesn’t matter what you know or don’t know; what really matters is how willing you are to learn.” 
 — Ar. Srijan Sunar 




To help our readers get to know you, could you share a bit about your journey? What drew you to architecture initially, and what has kept your passion for it alive?

Initially, I wasn’t very familiar with what architecture was or what studying architecture meant. As I was preparing for my entrance however, having had prior interests in sketching and art, I was suggested that I look into the course. And as I researched further, I thought that architecture might be the best fit for me.

Having said that, I found the first semester to be quite exhausting. We were expected to submit designs and models and whatnot without being given a proper guidance on how to go about doing so. It was only in my second semester that a professor gave us an example of the Modern Art Museum, Fort Worth which really fascinated me and drew me closer to architecture and from then on, it was a constant learning curve. Similarly, a National Geographic documentary on Burj-AI Arab ignited my earlier passion in architecture.


Moving from Nepal to the USA is a big transition. Could you talk about some of the adjustments you’ve faced professionally and personally, and how these experiences have shaped your approach to architecture?

What came off to me as a major culture shock in terms of my college experience during my master's in architecture here in the USA, was how patiently the professors interacted and critiqued the student’s work. Likewise, the concept of time management is very well sought out as the students not only have their academics to focus on but also a job to pay their own bills. You get to experience life as a student as well as get familiar with a workplace.

Speaking of academics, the exam structure was vastly different than what I was used to. Back in Nepal, I remember having to memorize majority of the syllabus to pass my exam, here however, research and writing is emphasized which carry the marks over the semester. The practice of reading an assigned book and developing the synopsis at the end for me, was truly a more effective way of learning.


You're active in media, hosting a podcast and creating videos. What was the motivation behind starting a podcast and having a strong online presence? How has this helped you connect with audiences and communicate your ideas about architecture and ultimately develop relations?

 first started “My Arch Stories” back during pandemic, where I initially planned on showcasing my photography. The page further evolved as a space to display my digital works: my architectural illustrations, my art, architectural comics.

The trajectory of my online content truly changed once I moved to the US after which my main intention was to connect the small number of Nepali architects working here. Being an immigrant, I wanted to create a community of Nepali architects working in the US, where we could get updated on our works and find newer, better opportunities. This led to launching my own podcasts with Nepali guests and getting to know their experiences, stories and establishing relationships. Moreover, due to my videos and stories, I didn’t lose touch with my friends and colleagues from Nepal. Though recently I have been preoccupied with my job, I certainly intend to put our more content and branch out to newer stories that’ll hopefully broaden the reach and help students and professionals that have just moved or want to start their careers here.


Fitness clearly is also an important part of your life. How does maintaining your physical Health impact your work, and how does it help keep you motivated to tackle your daily goals?

Fitness is a really vital part of my life. Throughout my undergrad I was borderline obese and weighed nearly 100 kgs. It was during my thesis that I thought was my time to get things back in order. I was also heavily stress eating at the time due to all the assignments and submissions. So, during my fifth year I challenged myself to work out every single day. It also helped a lot that I choose a relatively smaller scale project for my thesis, which in turn helped me manage my time and prioritize the task at hand.

By the end of the year, I was down by 30 kg, and my thesis was among the top three projects of my batch. Now fitness and working out has become something I cannot go a day without. It’s the first thing I do in the morning that really gets me started for the day and helps me to be in a motivated head space for the day’s work.


Out of all the skills you’ve developed, which do you find the most valuable and in demand in the field today? And with so many areas of focus, how do you effectively manage your time and balance these different aspects of your work?

For me, I like the feeling of being challenged to venture into newer things and experiences. Upon starting university here, I found that most people used software like Rhino and Grasshopper which was an uncharted territory to me. Also, with being an international student, it was quite evident that I should learn new things after all, that’s what I had come to do so far from home.

So, I rigorously started learning these software from YouTube itself and watching whatever tutorials and videos I could get my hands on. I do want to say that it doesn’t matter what you know or don’t know; what really matters is how willing you are to learn. So I suggest developing the willingness and curiosity to learn and explore. The next important thing I suggest you are familiarizing yourself with is the art of approaching people and starting a conversation. For me, learning these software also gave me a ground to connect with the native students and other professionals which helped me build relations and confidence in my field of study.




Advice for Architecture Students

For students in Nepal who aspire to follow a similar path, what advice would you give about studying architecture, building a versatile skill set, and pursuing international opportunities?

In this age of internet, we have a lot of social media platforms with global audience for architecture students to feature their works and enter design competitions from round the globe. I suggest that even as a student you pursue these opportunities. It will eventually help you build a strong portfolio that speaks your architectural character.

A strong portfolio is a quintessential requisite when applying anywhere; however it does take some time to find your style and character so I suggest you work consistently and keep exploring.

Another major aspect that’ll help you land international opportunities is referrals and connections. The easiest way to go about this is as simple as keeping in touch with your seniors and updates about their place and area of work. Even connections and regular updates on LinkedIn could go a long way to show your works and market them effectively when pursuing these opportunities.


You are currently working on an aviation architecture firm, Corgan. How difficult was it to land a position there, and looking back, is there anything you wish you had focused on in college or things that could have been taught that might have accelerated your journey to working with such a renowned firm?

Working at Corgan required extensive networking and navigating through multiple levels of approval, which was both challenging and enlightening. However, it also highlighted areas where I felt underprepared during my formative years. Plus, as an international student I really needed the job opportunity as only big companies sponsor student visa.

In college, I often wished for mentors who could guide us in creating and refining portfolios—a vital tool for architects stepping into the professional world. A well-crafted portfolio is a representation of your identity as a designer and a key to unlocking opportunities. Having guidance on how to approach this critical aspect would have been invaluable.

“I also recognized the importance of being farsighted into the future.”


How is aviation architecture different from regular building projects, and what are some impactful projects you’ve worked on?

While working at Corgan, I realized that while the terminologies might differ from traditional architecture, the core processes are quite similar. I took it upon myself to learn BIM management and improve my client interaction skills to handle tasks more efficiently.

In the beginning, my responsibilities were small, such as overseeing the replacement of doors. Although the task seemed minor, I embraced it as a valuable learning opportunity. I approached each assignment with a mindset of growth, focusing on how they contributed to the larger project, which helped me develop a deeper understanding.


As you look forward, what are some innovation or emerging trend in architecture or design that you find worth exploring?

AI is advancing rapidly, but there will always be a distinction between the emotional depth of human work and the precision of AI. I believe it’s important not to rely solely on AI but to diversify its applications. It should be used as a tool to enhance creativity rather than replace human intuition and emotion.

Professionals like Oliver Thomas are already pushing these boundaries. His work with Architecture Networking (ANT) demonstrates the real-world use of tools like Rhino in architectural practice. Similarly, Ar. Abinash Thapa is exploring kinetic architecture, integrating Rhino, Grasshopper, and AI to create dynamic designs.


Can you share details about some of the most exciting or impactful projects you’ve worked on so far? How do you incorporate sustainable practices into your designs?

During my thesis, I worked on the Republic Memorial, a project that truly sparked my love for architecture. It was a defining moment for me, as I realized how architecture can evoke emotions and tell stories in a way few other mediums can.

I’ve always admired the Vietnam Memorial and the 9/11 Memorial—they’re masterpieces in how they connect with people on a deeply personal level. The Vietnam Memorial, with its glossy marble, stands out to me. Seeing your own reflection in it feels like a conversation with the past, a way to process loss and grief while connecting with those who are no longer here.

When I designed the Republic Memorial, I kept one guiding principle in mind: “It’s about who died.”

To me, a memorial isn’t just a structure; it’s a space to honor the lives lost and the stories they left behind. I wanted my design to do more than commemorate—I wanted it to convey the human narratives, the emotions, and the sacrifices. That thesis project wasn’t just academic; it was deeply personal and shaped how I approach architecture to this day.


Architectural Education in Nepal

Lastly, according to your experience, what could be done in regards to the architectural education and practice in Nepal, for it to reach the international standards?

Nepal’s architecture curriculum is well-rounded, balancing technical skills, creativity, and theory. However, it lacks focus on portfolio development and networking, which are crucial for career growth.

Adding guidance on these areas would enhance the curriculum, better preparing students for the competitive job market and real-world challenges.


Uploading: 494332 of 494332 bytes uploaded.



Uploading: 494332 of 494332 bytes uploaded.

This article was published under 'VAASTU', an annual journal published by ASA, Pulchowk Campus.
Editorial Team: Pulchowk Campus BArch 2076/077/079 Batch
Chief Editors: Samata Shrestha, Deewa Dhakal, Shreya Gurung |

Comments